Tips For Avoiding A Vehicle Collision
When a regular ol’ car is involved in a vehicle collision with a large truck, the result is seldom very good. Because of the massive size and weight of trucks, a vehicle collision can oftentimes be deadly (especially if speeding is another factor). What’s worse is that truck drivers are forced to stay on the road for long periods of time because of the nature of their job. The loads they carry are time-sensitive and they have to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. There are regulations in place to keep drivers from overworking themselves by constraining how many hours they can work in a day but even then the limit is 11 hours. 11 hours is a lot, considering that many of us can barely keep our eyes open after just an 8 hour workday. Truck drivers work under a lot of pressure, but there are some things you can do as a passenger driver to keep yourself safe.
Here are a few tips to help prevent a large truck vehicle collision:
- Don’t drive in the truck driver’s blind spot. This is the spot directly behind the truck and beside it, near the truck. When following behind, make sure you can see the truck’s mirrors – if you can see those, then he can see you. Avoid driving directly beside the truck, where you’ll be out of sight from his mirrors if he decides to turn or merge.
- Avoid abrupt lane changes in front of and near the truck. Trucks are usually hauling massive loads, which means they need extra space and time to slow down.
- If the truck is turning right, avoid pulling up next to it’s right side.
- Don’t make a left turn directly in front of a rapidly approaching truck
- If you want to pass a truck, make sure you have enough room in front of and beside him to do so. And be mindful of environmental conditions, like heavy wind (or even air turbulence), that can quickly cause the truck or your own vehicle to get pushed into one another.
- Avoid driving between large trucks
If you or a loved one has been injured in a vehicle collision involving a truck, give the expert truck accident attorneys The Clardy Law Firm a call. We’ll help ensure you get compensation for your injuries and losses.