after a car accident Greenville, South Carolina

What Records Should Be Kept After A Car Accident?

After a car accident, you may be wondering if you should file an auto accident claim. As part of your claim, you’ll need to be able to prove a couple of things in order to receive compensation. One, you’ll need to be able to show that you’ve suffered damages. Two, you’ll need to be able to prove that the other driver was at fault.

There are certain records that you’re going to need.

Records of the Accident

Police report

The accident report written by the police officer(s) after a car accident has valuable information in it that can help make or break your case. The law enforcement officer that wrote the report may indicate his/her opinion of how the accident occurred. It will also show if the other driver received a ticket. In addition, the report may include important information about the date and location of the accident, weather conditions, and other things that may help prove your case.

Repair Records

Keep all records of damage to your vehicle from the accident. You may also need records that show the value of your vehicle before the accident.


Document vehicle damage, the accident scene, and pictures of your injuries after a car accident.

Medical Records

If you were injured in the vehicle accident or find out that you sustained injuries related to the crash after a car accident, you’ll want to keep a list of medical records on hand. Medical expenses can make up a huge part of your compensation. Keep records of the following:

  • EMS records (including ambulance and paramedic expenses)
  • ER treatment records
  • Diagnostic records (related to your injuries)
  • Lab reports, test results, X-Rays and other pictures of your injuries
  • Medical reports and notes written by your doctor and other medical professionals treating you
  • Your treatment plan
  • Prescribed medications
  • Physical therapy records
  • All medical related bills and receipts

Employment Records

After a car accident, you may be forced to miss work to heal. You may be entitled to compensation for your lost wages. You’ll want to keep records of how much you’re ordinally paid and the value of the wages you lost while you missed work. These include:

  • Pay stubs
  • Direct deposit records
  • Tax returns
  • Tip records
  • A letter from your employer indicating how much income you lost as a result of your time off after a car accident
  • Records of communication notifying your employer of your absence from work

If you were injured in an auto accident, you should reach out to one of our experienced car accident attorneys from The Clardy Law Firm. Our award-winning Greenville personal injury lawyers can assist you with collecting the records you need to successfully file your claim and ensure you get the compensation you deserve.