Selecting the right lawyer to fight for you can seem like a daunting task. There are so many different specialties, methods, and experiences that every firm can provide. Remember that not all law firms offer the same type of specialty.
Finding the right person for your case can be difficult. We recommend asking a few questions to help make the decision easier.
- Do you specialize in law related to my case and situation?
- Are you going to handle this case yourself? (If not, how many people are going to assist you?)
- How long have you practiced law?
- How much education do you have?
- Do you belong to any legal organizations or professional groups (like Super Lawyer)?
- What is the process you’re going to take to help me?
- How successful are you in winning cases?
- How will you handle my case if you are unsuccessful?
- How much do you charge?
- What are my payment options?
- Do I have to have the payment upfront or a lump sum before representation?
- Are there an other fees or costs that I need to pay?
- How often will you inform me about the status of my case?
- Will I be able to reach someone easily if I have questions?
- Do I have to sign any contracts? (Can I look over them first?)
Don’t be shy when interviewing your potential lawyer(s).
If you have a specific concern, bring it to attention and ask for the attorney’s opinion or if they’ve dealt with similar cases before.